If you do exactly what I say in this post, you’re going to sweat.
At least your fingers will. And they’ll get cramped, calloused, and tired too. Undoubtedly, you’ll hurl a curse word or two in my general direction. But that’s O.K. (you know, “sticks and stones,” love). I still want you to follow through.
If you do (and 95% of you WON’T), it will be one of the best investments you can make to becoming a world-class copywriter. This smart, focused effort is what separates the men from the boys… and the producers from the “gurus.” It’s that effort that allows the top dogs to practically write their own tickets (AKA five-figure copywriting jobs) while everyone else fights for their scraps.
Don’t read any further unless you’re serious. There’s still time for you to hop back onto Facebook, and I’m sure you can find a rerun of Law and Order on TNT or something.
No? You say you don’t mind a little hard work?
I knew my readers were too smart to buy into those “shortcuts to wealth” nonsense. Let me introduce you then to:
Neural Imprinting: Or, Weird Advertising “Black Magic” with Gary Halbert
This will sound weird.
But it’s the best way to expose yourself to a massive number of solid headlines. And you need solid headlines if you want people to read your acts and act on them (i.e., buy your stuff).
We could go over classic principles that make certain headlines work and others fail miserably. And, while that’s useful to a point, another way to this is through “neural imprinting.” This technique ensures that internalize what makes a headline work. Do it enough, and you’ll find yourself spitting out headline gold without really knowing how.
Call it black magic. Call if psuedo-science. Call it whatever you want to call it. All I know is it works, and you’re doing yourself a disservice if you don’t give it a shot.
Hunter S. Thompson did this when he typed out an entire copy of The Great Gatsby so he could “know what writing a great book felt like.” And Gary Halbert, one of the most successful advertising geniuses of all time (and my personal favorite), did this himself. He also recommended all the subscribers to his newsletter do it with some famous sales letters and direct mail pieces.
Want to know how to do it? Well, here goes…
Your Step-by-Step Guide to Use Neural Imprinting to Write Better Headlines
Here’s what you do.
First, you get yourself a stack of index cards. You could use a word processor instead, but for some reason I’ve found there’s something about handwriting that strengthens the connection in my mind.
Got that done? O.K. Next, you take a look at the list of 100 headlines below. I’ve searched high and low for these puppies. Why? Because I ONLY want you to focus this neural imprinting thing on proven winners. So, I’ve only included proven winners in my list. Headlines that exhibit the timeless principles that are just as effective today as they were 100 years ago.
Anyways, the next thing you need to do is to physically copy each headline. If you’re using index cards, stick to one headline on a card. It’s boring. It’s monotonous. But you can crank up the radio while you rip through them. Whatever you do, just get it done.
The fourth (and final) step is for you to periodically review these headlines. This keeps the imprints fresh in your mind. And it can really help you out if you’re stuck looking for a headline for your latest project.
Are you ready to get busy? Are you ready to sweat? O.K. You asked for it…
101 Killer Headlines to Implant into Your Memory Bank for Fun and Profit
- Do You Make These Mistakes in English?
- How to Win Friends and Influence People
- “At 60 miles an hour the loudest noise in this new Rolls-Royce comes from the electric clock”
- How a “Fool Stunt” Made Me a Start Salesman
- “They Laughed When I Sat Down at the Piano – But When I Started to Play!”
- Who Else Wants a Screen Star Figure?
- How a Strange Accident Saved Me from Baldness
- How I Made a Fortune With a Fool Idea
- Profits That Lie Hidden in Your Farm
- How I Improved My Memory in One Evening
- Is the Life of a Child Worth $1 to You?
- Here is a Quick Way to Break up a Cold
- How Much is Your Working “Tension” Costing Your Company?
- How to Burn Off Body Fat, Hour-by-Hour
- Get Rid of Money Worries for Good
- For the Woman Who Looks Younger Than She Is
- Thousands Now Play Who Never Thought They Could
- To Men Who Want to Quit Working Some Day
- How a New Discovery Made a Plain Girl Beautiful
- Why Some Foods “Explode” in Your Stomach
- Imagine Me… Holding an Audience Spellbound for 30 Minutes
- The Lazy Man’s Way to Riches
- Are You Ever Tongue-Tied at a Party?
- You Can Laugh at Money Worries – If You Follow This Simple Plan
- Why Some People Almost Always Make Money in the Stock Market
- Do You Do Any of These 10 Embarrassing Things?
- Does Your Child Ever Embarrass You?
- Who Else Wants Lighter Cake – in Half the Mixing Time?
- Free Book – Tells You 12 Secrets of Better Lawn Care
- What Everybody Ought to Know… About This Stock and Bond Business
- Don’t Let Athlete’s Foot “Lay You Up”
- Check the Kind of Body You Want
- You Never Saw Such Letters Harry and I Got About Our Pears
- Often a Bridesmaid, Never a Bride
- Little Leaks That Keep Men Poor
- A Little Mistake That Cost a Farmer $3,000 a Year
- Seven Steps to Financial Freedom
- For People Who Don’t Have Time for Unimportant Books
- “Here’s an Extra $50, Grace – I am Making Real Money Now”
- Advice to Wives Whose Husbands Don’t Save Money – By a Wife
- How to Create a Good Advertisement
- To People Who Want to Write – But Can’t Get Started
- How a New Kind of Clay Improved My Complexion in 30 Minutes
- Six Types of Investor – Which Group are You in?
- The Secret of Making People Like You
- Corn Gone in 5 Days or Money Back
- Can You Spot These 10 Decorating Sins?
- Are You Ashamed of Smells in Your Home?
- Girls. Want Quick Curls?
- Quick Relief for Tired Eyes
- Wanted: Dangerous Men for Safe Times
- What Makes a Woman Lovable?
- How to Collect from Social Security at Any Age
- How a Man of 40 Can Retire in 15 Years
- It Cleans Your Breath While it Cleans You
- Why Men Crack
- Have You These Symptoms of Nerve Exhaustion?
- Can You Talk About Books with the Rest of Them?
- Free to Brides – $2 to Others
- New. A Cream Deodorant Which Safely Stops Perspiration
- Play Guitar in 7 Days or Money Back
- The Crimes We Commit Against our Stomachs
- How to Stretch Your Inflated Money
- New Shampoo Leaves Your Hair Smoother – Easier to Manage
- The Deaf Now Hear Whispers
- To a $15,000 Man Who Would Like to be Making $30,000
- When Doctors “Feel Rotten” This is What They Do
- Give Me 5 Days and I’ll Give You a Magnetic Personality. Let Me Prove it Free
- How to Feel Fit at Any Age
- Five Familiar Skin Troubles – Which One Do You Want to Overcome?
- Why Wall Street Journal Readers Live Better
- Is Your Home Picture-Poor?
- How to Give Your Children Extra Iron – These 3 Delicious Ways
- The Man With the “Grasshopper Mind”
- Call Back These Great Moments at the Opera
- Again She Orders… “A Chicken Salad, Please”
- “You Kill That Story – or I’ll Run You out of the State!”
- Are We a Nation of Lowbrows?
- How to Get Rich Reading Classified Ads
- The Man in the Hathaway Shirt
- How to Have a Cool, Quiet Bedroom Even on Hot Nights
- How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
- Car Owners. Save One Gallon of Gas Every Ten
- Ways to Beat the High Cost of Living
- What’s Wrong in This Picture?
- Will Your Scalp Stand the “Fingernail Test?”
- To a Man Who is 35 and Dissatisfied
- The Secret to Being Wealthy
- Is $60 a Day Worth a Postage Stamp?
- Can You Pass the Memory Test?
- Discovered – Amazing Way to Grow Hair
- Announcing a New Home Money-Making Plan
- How I Became Popular Overnight
- I Gambled a Postage Stamp and Won $35,840 in 2 Years
- Now… a Low Calorie Bacardi Daiquiri
- How I Earn My Living in 4 Hours a Day
- A Warning to Men Who Would Like to Be Independent in the Next Five Years
- A Wonderful Two Years’ Trip at Full Pay – But Only Men with Imagination Can Take It
- Own a Rembrandt for Only $7.95
- New! Golf Club Specially Sized for Youngsters
- Hollywood’s Make-Up Secret
Seeing Through the Matrix
If you made it this far and actually did all the work, I’m proud of you. Take a breather now. I’m sure you can wrangle up a hot shower, an adult beverage, some meditation, or whatever suits your fancy.
You’ve done some important work today. So important that I suggest you do it with headlines, openers, and entire sales letters (if they’re good enough). Absorbing as much information as you can like this is one of the best things you can do for yourself.
It’s like a secret window into the Matrix. You might not able to articulate all the elements of what makes an effective headline. But you sure as hell will be able to SPIT THEM OUT like nobody’s business. And you’ll be able to look at a headline and instantly have an idea of whether it might be effective or not.
For those of us that want it bad enough, this separates us from all the other people out there using weak, ineffective, or non-existent headlines.
And that’s what I want for you. I want you to get so good that you have practically ZERO competition. For you to reach a level where you can charge whatever you feel like because you deserve it (your results demand it). And for you to be able to turn away unsavory clients who waste your time, cause you hassles, and who don’t recognize the importance of good copy.
Sound like a plan? Keep doing the work, my friend. Keep pushing yourself. And I’ll keep spitting out the ideas for how you can get better if you apply them.